Wednesday, January 12, 2011

God Was With Us!

The other night, I watched with great anticipation as the Oregon Ducks took on the Auburn Tigers for the BCS National Championship. Many predicted the game to be a high scoring offensive field day. Instead, the game was won because one defense was able to make more plays than the other. In the end, the Auburn Tigers won only their second National Championship in school history and their first in over five decades.
As I watch the post game celebration, I was surprised by a comment made by Gene Chizik, the head coach of Auburn. When answering questions after the biggest win of his career, he said, “Tonight, God was with us.” My first thought was, “WOW, really? I didn’t know God was an Auburn fan?” However, the more I thought about his statement, the more I agreed with him. Not that God cares so much about Auburn football (or any other football team for that matter), but that God is always with us.
The writer of Hebrews said, “For He Himself has said, ‘I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you’” (Hebrews 13:5). When Joshua was given charge of the Israelites, God said, “No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you” (Joshua 1:5).
God never leaves His children. He is always watching over us. He is with us during all the moments of our lives, both big and small. When I go to the doctor for a major surgery, God is with me. When I am in an unfamiliar place on a mission trip, God is with me. When I’m working in my office, God is with me. When I am participating in something that is a big deal to me but not really a big deal to others, God is with me. And He is not just with me, He’s with all His children.
You see, Gene Chizik was right. God was with the Auburn Tigers. Not because God wanted Auburn to win or Oregon to lose, but because God is always present when it comes to His creation. He was watching over each and every one of the players and fans that were involved in the game just like He always has, because He is a loving and present God! Friends, no matter what you may think, God never leaves you or forsakes you.
Now that’s Something to Think About! 

Dear Father,
Thank you for your omnipresence and the loving way in which you are always watching over us. Father, I know that a lot of times I am guilty of forgetting that you are here with me. Please forgive me of this and help me to be ever mindful that you are always there for me, both in the big things as well as in the small things. In the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior I pray, AMEN!

1 comment:

  1. you are so right. God is everywhere and always watching and listening to our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete