Friday, December 3, 2010

Blessed With Friends

It has been almost two weeks since my pawpaw passed away. By no means have these two weeks been easy. They have been hard for me and my entire family. Not a day goes by that I don’t think about him or reflect on something that he has taught me. He was a very important fixture in my life and now he’s gone.
Since word first got out I cannot begin to count the number of cards, messages, and kind words people have spoken to me. It was in reading and listening to those words that I was reminded how blessed I am to have great friends like that in my life. The wise man wrote, A friend loves at all times” (Proverbs 17:17). During a dark hour in my life, my friends made their love for me known by their kind words and actions.  
I received hundreds of messages from friends telling me that they were praying for me. Now, I know that there is not a lot you can do when someone you know loses a person of great importance to them. However, one thing we all can do is pray. James wrote, “Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much” (Jam. 5:16). When I read all those messages saying that people were praying for my family and me, I knew that the Lord was going to help us get through our dark hour, because prayer is powerful. Praying is such a wonderful thing to do for those who are suffering from the loss of a loved one.
Sending a card is a nice gesture toward those who are hurting. It has been almost two weeks now since his passing and I am still getting cards in the mail. Every time I open those cards and read them, I remember how loved I am by the person who sent it to me. Each of the cards I received will be kept because they will serve as a reminder to me of how thoughtful people were during my time of loss.
While we were away with my family, some very dear friends of ours checked on our house and got our mail. This probably doesn’t seem like that big of a deal at first, but when you consider that we were away for an entire week, it’s a wonderful gesture. Our friends didn’t have to take time to do this, but they did and it gave us a feeling of peace. I am thankful that I have friends in my life who will do something for me that seems so insignificant to most people.
Perhaps, the gesture I will forever cherish is the fact that so many people came by the funeral home to pay their respects to my pawpaw and our family. Over 500 people took time to stop by and visit with us. I have friends who traveled a good distance just to spend five or ten minutes with me and then got back in their cars and drove home. Those few minutes will add up to a lifetime of memories for me.
The apostle Paul wrote, “Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep” (Romans 12:15). Through all the words and acts of kindness I feel as though my friends wept with me. Words cannot express how truly grateful and appreciative I am to everyone for their words, actions and prayers. I am truly blessed to have wonderful friends in my life.
Now that’s Something to Think About!

No comments:

Post a Comment